Honoring the leadership of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his service to others, Novant Health is sponsoring year two of a unique community leadership program called the H: Drive Experience; the “H” represents “hidden." The program targets less-heard, high-potential leaders who are invested and engaged in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg community but may otherwise lack access to leadership development opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the H: Drive Experience?
A 10-month program that seeks to develop community change agents through a combination of monthly group sessions, leadership coaching, shared experiences and interaction with business and community leaders. Participants will clarify their sense of purpose, strengthen their leadership voice and deepen their commitment to serve.
What are the program dates and topics covered?
- Aug. 28, 2019: Program Kickoff (5:30 to 9 p.m.)
- Sept. 18-20, 2019: Intentional Leadership Immersion
- Oct. 17, 2019: Community Building
- Nov. 14, 2019: Context and Connection
- Dec. 13, 2019: Leadership and Equity
- Jan. 23, 2020: Racial Equity
- Feb. 20, 2020: Seizing Opportunity
- March 12, 2020: Art and Disruption
- April 3, 2020: Health Equity and Intentional Movement
- May 5, 2020: Reflection and Building Narratives
- June 5, 2020: Dream Day and Graduation
Unless noted, all regular program sessions will take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Half-day coaching sessions are planned for Jan. 13 and 21, 2020, and additional evening optional opportunities will be communicated as available. In the event of inclement weather, participants are asked to hold May 14, 2020, as a makeup date.
What will I gain from the experience?
- Understanding of change-activating servant, intentional and adaptive leadership styles alongside Dr. King’s practical approach to leadership
- Grounding in the role of individual leadership to influence communities and systems
- Increased effectiveness to lead and address issues around race/ethnicity, economic opportunity, inclusion and equity
- Access to top level leadership development resources
- A community of peers to support and engage while serving Charlotte-Mecklenburg
What does the program cost?
Participants must make a firm commitment to attend the scheduled sessions and invest in their personal development.
What else do I need to know?
Opera Carolina’s I Dream, made possible by sponsorship from Novant Health, served as a catalyst for the H: Drive Experience. I Dream is a musical drama based on the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Participants will be recognized during the April 25, 2020, performance.
Who do I contact for more information?
Questions about the program should be directed to Arlene Ferebee.